100 High Street, Crediton, EX17 3LF
Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 9am-5pm
Wed & Sat: 9am-1pm
It all began in 2012 when a group of local people believed it was important to retain an independent book shop on Crediton High Street and set about to make this happen. Crediton Community Bookshop (CCB) was set up as a not-for-profit social enterprise
in 2013 when nearly 300 people, mostly local, purchased shares to show their support and enable the enterprise to get off the ground.
Our mission is to create a literary hub for mid Devon and to share our passion for reading by stocking a wide and unique range of books, encouraging young readers, promoting local authors, and creating a vibrant space where book lovers can browse or engage in discussion.
All profits are reinvested in funding local literary projects and arts initiatives, many of them for children.Our patrons are Michael Morpurgo OBE, Dame Babette Cole and William Trevor KBE.
Crediton Community Bookshop works in partnership with local schools, libraries and arts organisations, bringing authors to Crediton for talks and book signings. The shop provides an event space and has hosted poetry slams and spoken word events. CCB also acts as a Tourist Information Point for Crediton and Mid Devon.
- To build the current successful retail bookshop into a robust, long term self-sustaining business, providing the Crediton and Mid-Devon community with an independent bookshop where excellent customer service takes priority
- To improve children’s literacy by providing an outstanding
selection of children’s books and book sales to local schools.
- To serve the community by holding and participating in regional literary events, book festivals and author events
- To be the best resource for Devon writing including local authors, literature, history, geography, travel guides, maps etc.
- To promote reading and literacy in all age groups and provide a meeting place and focus for book lovers and local reading and writing groups.
- To promote the works of local authors, including self-published and specialist local books
- To provide a robust volunteering experience tailored to the needs of those involved including skills training which better fits people for employment.
How we fulfil our objectives
- CCB makes an important contribution to maintaining the vibrancy of the town by encouraging High Street footfall and facilitating and participating in local events and festivals and supporting a wide range of community activities.
- Book events run specifically by CCB both as part of these town activities or as one-off events contribute to the cultural life of the town. We work in partnership with schools and libraries in Devon providing book events in schools organised by CCB and run by our volunteers.
- As the town’s tourist information point our volunteers ensure we provide up-to-date information for residents and visitors to the town on local services in mid Devon and the surrounding area.
- CCB strives to develop the best resource of Devon writing, including local authors, literature, history, geography, travel guides, maps etc.
- CCB also offers a range of volunteering opportunities to suit people with various skills and knowledge. Several of our volunteers have taken up permanent work contracts as a result of their volunteering experience with us. Supporting volunteering within Crediton also contributes to social cohesion and a greater sense of community